As Storm Christophe approaches, areas of the UK are set to experience significant rainfall over the next 48 hours or so, with up to 70mm of rain forecast in some areas and large parts of The Midlands, Wales, Northern Ireland and the North West under an amber alert.
The flooding is likely to arise from a combination of persistent, heavy rain and the water flowing through the river and waterway network to exit the system. Significant flooding has already been reported in areas of South Yorkshire where an emergency has been declared by local authorities.
With this in mind, Lockton has the following guidance for anybody living in an area likely to be affected.
- Ensure that you, your family and other household occupants have safe exit from the property.
- Remove as many perishable items as possible above ground floor – this would include furniture, rugs, antiques, fine art and electrical items.
- Identify all utility service cut-off locations (water, gas, electricity)
- Lay sandbags to all doorways, or anything else that will form a barrier and stop/reduce water entering the property.
- Create a flood plan – a link to a template created by the Environment Agency can be found here
- Use the flood alert service here to ascertain the level of risk to your property.
- Only drive your vehicle where safe to do so – local police forces, the AA and RAC are giving this advice to those living in areas likely to affected. Remember never enter water if the depth is unknown or it is fast flowing.
- Have your policy number and your insurer's emergency claims line saved so that you can report any claim at any time and seek immediate advice. Please see the helpline numbers below.
- Keep an eye on updates posted on social media by local community groups, councils and the emergency services.
It isn't just your home and its contents that could be damaged – take similar precautions for your garage and any outbuildings with some tips as follows.
- If you cannot place sandbags across garage doors, then try to remove the vehicles to safe storage or at least higher ground.
- Remove any perishable items to high shelves either in the garage or home.
- Any oil or other chemicals which might leak and cause pollution should be raised above water level
- Garden furniture and equipment which could be damaged by flood water should again be moved to a higher floor within your house or above floor within outbuildings.
We can't stop flooding from happening but by adopting as many proactive measures as possible and working quickly if the worst does happen, we will make sure that the impact is reduced. If you are worried about flooding, please talk to us for further advice and guidance.
Axa XL Home – Tel. 0800 376 0267
Axa XL Motor – Tel. 0330 303 1492
Aviva Home & Motor – Tel. 0800 051 1750
Beazley – Tel. 0344 770 3102
Chubb Home & Motor – Tel. 0800 018 0678
Hiscox Home – Tel. 01206 773776
Hiscox Motor – Tel. 0800 840 2405
MRE - Tel. 020 7661 1160
Protect – Tel. 0203 889 7998
Zurich Home & Motor – Tel. 0800 096 9999